Surprising Natural Remedies for Acne that Work Better Than Over-the-Counter Treatments
There are many options for all natural remedies for acne. So, how do you choose which ones to try?
The ones I have included in my list of the top 10 all natural remedies for acne, are ones that I have found to work the best and are the most powerful! Everyone is different, and it may require some experimentation to find what works best for you! But most importantly, don’t give up!
After having acne for many, many.. and I do mean many years, I have tried nearly every possible remedy and treatment, even, I hate to say it, but, also prescription treatments. But, the funny thing is after everything I have tried, the natural remedies for acne have worked the best! Seriously!
My acne started around age 13 and only progressed to get worse. My mother always told me, just wait until after high school it will get better, those years came and went, then wait until after college, yep four years later it was only worse.
For some, it may be a temporary occurrence due to changes in hormones and with age it will improve, but for many that isn’t the cause!
Causes of Acne Your Doctor Will Never Tell You!
1. First of all, don’t trust anyone! By this I mean doctors and dermatologists will tell you that diet doesn’t matter, natural remedies for acne don’t work, that it’s just hormones and there’s nothing you can do but take their prescriptions. Wrongo!
2. What you eat matters! Of course it matters what you’re putting into your body. Avoid all processed foods, eat real foods, make sure to get enough fats into your diet, such as avocados and coconut oil. What exact type of diet works best is always up for debate, but we’ll save that for another post.
3. Get a blood test! Test your blood for every possible vitamin and nutrient to make sure you aren’t deficient in anything. Here are a few biggies to make sure you include; vitamin A, zinc, your thyroid, hormones (progesterone, testosterone etc.)
4. Allergens! Your acne may be a result of an allergy. Determine if there are any possible allergens that may be causing your acne, such as gluten or dairy, which may reduce the amount of nutrients absorbed.
10 Best All Natural Remedies for Acne:
1. Baking Soda- This is my absolute favorite natural remedy for acne! Surprising, I only discovered baking soda masks a couple of years ago, and oh boy is this stuff powerful at clearing skin! Baking soda not only helps eliminate breakouts and reduces inflammation it is also an exfoliator and helps remove dead skin cells. Because of this, it also works great to reduce any old scars or acne marks. To use it, just take a few teaspoons of baking soda and mix it with warm water until it forms a paste. Apply the paste to your skin, you may want to leave it on for only 10 to 15 minutes the first few times as it may feel powerful. You can gradually increase the time up to an hour or even leave it on over night (which is what I do). After one use you can see a great difference in your skin.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar- This natural remedy for acne is another powerful one, it has both antibacterial and antifungal properties. To start out, you may want to dilute a few teaspoons with half water or ¼ water as it can be quite powerful when applied directly to your skin.
3. Coconut Oil- Coconut oil is antibacterial and antifungal. Coconut oil is also extremely moisturizing and gentle. It helps fight the bacteria and reduce redness. Apply the coconut oil to your skin and massage it in. You can reapply a couple times per day. With coconut oil, there is no need to ever use a moisturizer again, it works so well and doesn’t clog your pores.
4. Tea Tree Oil- Tea tree oil is an essential oil and can be a very powerful all natural remedy for acne, as it is antibacterial. To apply it, mix a small amount of tea tree oil with an equal amount of water. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply it to your skin. You can reapply throughout the day or leave it on under your makeup.
5. Egg Whites- For this, I’m not talking about eating them, they make a great natural remedy for acne when used as a facial mask! Egg whites reduce the oil and minimize your pores in addition to drawing out impurities. To use it, separate the egg white from the yolk, use a cotton ball or you can use your fingers to apply the egg white to your skin. After a few minutes you’ll start to feel it tighten, you can leave it on anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. Afterwards, your skin will have an amazing glow!
6. Lemon Juice- For this one, you can either use lemon juice or a fresh squeezed lemon. Lemons have natural antibacterial and astringent properties to help clear your skin. Apply the lemon juice to your skin and leave on for 15 minutes to an hour.
7. Garlic- Not only is garlic a great natural antibacterial when ingested, it also works great topically. To use it, take a clove of garlic and thinly slice it. Rub the slices on your skin, particularly any problem areas, making sure the juice of the garlic is applied. Leave on for 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
8. Ice Cubes- Rub an ice cube on problem areas to help reduce inflammation. Not only, does the cold close your pores it also forces the bacteria out. You can also splash your face with cold water to achieve similar affects.
9. Cornstarch- Cornstarch is very soothing and gentle. This is a great natural remedy for acne when you have a lot of redness or irritation. You can apply the cornstarch to your individual breakouts or to your whole face. Sometimes I leave it on over night and find a huge difference in the morning.
10. Aloe- Aloe is very soothing and reduces inflammation and redness. To use it, apply the gel to your skin with your fingers, you can apply it several times a day. If you have an aloe plant, it would be even better as you get the aloe fresh, without any added ingredients.
I still continue to use these natural remedies for acne, typically, I use the baking soda mask and coconut oil once a day. My skin is now, 99.9 percent clear, if I have an unusually stressful week or stop using baking soda for a few weeks, I may get a breakout.
No matter what the cause is there’s no time like the present to try these natural remedies for acne and try to improve your skin to the best it can be. The good news is there’s a lot to try!
Have you tried any of these natural remedies for acne? What has worked for you?