I love using face masks made from food! And an egg, one of the most perfect foods, is my favorite to both eat and use on my face. So, not only do I stock up on fresh local eggs for breakfast every morning, but I also use them to make this simple egg white face mask.
An egg white face mask was one of the first face masks I ever tried over 10 years ago! And I still continue to use it about once a week because it’s amazing the way it makes my skin feel and look!
Just last night, I quickly applied the mask and after I removed it, my mom asked me, “What did you use? Your skin is glowing!” What I like about it is that you get instant results. It really does leave my skin feeling super clean, refreshed, and shiny (in a good way)!
Why is egg white good for your skin?
Egg white is beneficial to skin because it not only helps tighten and tone the skin, but it aides in shrinking large pores which reduces the surplus of sebum. Sebum is the substance that makes the skin oily and this protects the skin, but you don’t want to have too much of it – if hair follicles get too much sebum and cells from dead skin, bacteria grows resulting in acne.
Other reasons egg white is great skin food!
Egg white contains protein to help maintain healthy tissues and keep skin wrinkle-free.
1. It has potassium which aides in preserving moisture to skin cells.
2. The enzyme lysozyme is in egg white and this is known to kill the bacteria that causes acne.
3. Riboflavin (vitamin B-2) in egg whites stamps out the nasty free radicals that are toxic and cell damaging causing wrinkles.
4. Adds the nutrient, magnesium, that helps put the brakes on skin aging and gives your skin a youthful glow!
How to make the egg white face mask: Make sure you use organic eggs!
1. First wash face with warm water – this allows your pores to open up
2. Break egg, separating white from yoke with the shell (passing yoke back and forth into shell halves) or some people like to separate it in their hand and let white drip through their fingers in to the bowl.
3. With your hands all clean, apply the egg white to your face, but make sure you don’t get any in your eyes or mouth.
4. Let the egg white dry for at least 15 minutes. I like to fan my face to speed up the drying process. You will feel the mask tighten as it dries.
5. Use warm water gently to get the mask off.
After you remove the mask, your skin will feel clean and refreshed!