Simple Natural Remedies for Dark Under Eye Circles and How to Treat the Cause
The skin below your eyes is one of the most delicate areas. It is extremely thin and sensitive and can be easily affected by many factors.
Dark under eye circles are very common, however, the cause may be different.
There are two primary types of dark under eye circles. One is a darkening of the pigmentation and the second has dark pigmentation with blood vessels showing through.
Misconception that it’s Caused by Lack of Sleep
Many believe that dark under eye circles are just a sign that you’re not getting enough sleep. Yet, for most, this is not the cause.
I remember in elementary school, kids would comment that I always looked tired because of my under eye circles, yet that had nothing to do with the cause. Today, many adults still believe this misconception to be true.
There are many different factors that can result in dark circles. In order to eliminate dark under eye circles, it is best to try to determine the cause. However, there are also some great natural remedies for dark under eye circles that can help minimize the appearance.
Treat the Cause
Dark under eye circles can be caused by a variety of factors. In order to improve the appearance of your skin, trying to treat the cause would be most effective, rather than just trying to cover up the problem.
The most common causes of dark under eye circles:
1. Allergies- Allergies and nasal congestion are the most common cause of dark under eye circles. The congestion, even when minor, causes the veins which drain from the eyes into the nose, to increase in size and become darker. This can include food allergies and/or environmental allergens.
2. Vitamin Deficiency- Any vitamin or nutrient deficiencies can result in dark circles. The skin is the largest organ of the body and when deficiencies are present, it can significantly affect the health of skin. Vitamin deficiencies that have been associated with dark circles include vitamin B12, E, K, and D.
3. Heredity- Dark under eye circles may be due to genetic factors; such as, having a genetic trait of very thin lower eyelid skin which causes the veins to show through the skin resulting in a darker tone. This may cause the appearance of dark circles to be more apparent.
4. Sluggish Liver- When your liver is not carrying out it’s functions optimally, it is unable to break down and eliminate toxins from the body. Many have noted to see improvement from liver cleanses and detoxification.Sometimes it is hard to determine the exact cause of dark under eye circles, thus these natural remedies can be very helpful to minimize the appearance.
Natural Remedies for Dark Under Eye Circles to Minimize the Appearance
1. Vitamin E Topically- According to a recent study, applying a cream rick in vitamin E, can moderately reduce the appearance of dark circles. Vitamin E aids in the bodies use of vitamin K.
2. Mint- The application of crushed mint leaves to your under eye area has been effective at reducing the dark coloration for many.
3. Vitamin A, C, E and K Topically- Creams consisting of Vitamins A, C, E, and K were shown to effectively reduce the appearance of dark circles when applied twice per day. Pumpkin can also be used as it contains vitamins A, C, and K.
4. Potatoes- Applying slices of potato or potato juice has been noted to help dark circles and reduce swelling.
5. Tea Bags- Cold tea bags can aid in visibly reducing under eye circles immediately. After steeping tea bags, place them in the in the refrigerator and allow them to cool. Next, place the tea bags on the eye area for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Get More Sleep- Although, not typically the cause of dark circles, a lack of sleep may make them appear worse due to a decrease in moisture and skin elasticity. Find out how many hours of sleep you really need.
7. Dehydration- A lack of enough water can cause dark circles to become more apparent. When your body is dehydrated, the lack of moisture can significantly affect the sensitive under eye area.
8. Reduce Excess Salt Intake- Salt and all electrolytes are necessary for bodily functions. However, if your diet consists of an excess amount of salt, it can cause water retention. When salt is used, make sure to use sea salt or Himalayan salt.
Have you tried any of these natural remedies for dark under eye circles?
Linked on: Thank Your Body Thursday