A warm bath can be very relaxing. Add in a few ingredients to make it a milk bath and you can get smooth, soft, and moisturized skin! Just soaking in a milk bath can leave your skin feeling soft and hydrated.
Cleopatra, the beautiful Egyptian pharaoh used to bathe in milk to keep her skin soft and smooth. She often took milk baths with honey for the beauty benefits.
If you’re wondering how to make a milk bath, milk baths are very easy to make. All you need to do is add a couple ingredients to your bath for a soothing, relaxing and skin benefiting bath.
Benefits of a Milk Bath:
- Exfoliates Your Skin – Milk contains lactic acid which is a very gentle alpha hydroxy acid that helps to remove dead skin cells. You can get a gentle skin exfoliation from a milk bath without any scrubbing.
- Nutrient Rich- Milk contains vitamins, such as vitamin E, which help reduce oxidative stress and keep your skin looking young.
- Improves Skin’s Appearance- After you come out of a milk bath you’ll notice your skin is soft, smooth and moisturized, leaving it looking healthy and younger.
- Increase Moisture- Milk baths are extremely hydrating due to the fats and proteins in milk. So if you have any dry skin, it is a great way to improve it.
- Calming and Relaxing- Baths are very relaxing and by adding milk, you can get a spa like experience at home with all the benefits.
- Smooth Skin- Your skin will feel and look smooth and moisturized after the bath.
- Helps Skin Irritation and Eczema- A milk bath is very soothing for irritated skin.
- Helps Your Hair- It can help dry hair as well due to the hydrating benefits.
How to Make a Milk Bath
1. Pour the coconut milk or regular milk into a bowl and add in the honey. Stir well to mix the two.
2. Add the powdered milk and stir until it fully dissolves. (The powdered milk contains the beneficial lactic acid, which softens your skin).
3. Add the mixture to your bath tub and soak for 20 to 30 minutes.
Why I use Coconut Milk Instead of Regular Milk:
I’ve made milk baths with coconut milk and regular milk. When I use coconut milk, I notice it is even more soothing and hydrating than regular milk, which is why I generally use it more.
Why You Should Add Honey:
If you’ve been researching how to make a milk bath, you probably came across many different ways. You could make a milk bath by just adding coconut milk to your bath. However, adding just 1/4 cup of honey to the bath will give you extra moisture. It is also very soothing and has beneficial antibacterial properties.
How often should you use a milk bath?
It’s great to take a milk bath once a week or once every two weeks to keep your skin soft and moisturized. I usually alternate between milk baths and Epsom Salt baths.